What is an RM Riley?
Riley was the first car manufacturer to announce a genuine new model after the war ended in 1945. The 1½-litre saloon was a development of the 12hp pre-war Riley and this was soon joined by a 2½-litre saloon, a development of the pre-war 16hp model. During the period of the production run of post-war Rileys, the letters RM (for Riley Motors) with an alphabetical suffix (denoting the model) were applied to the model as a means of identification. Riley RMs were built initially in Coventry until production switched to Abingdon in 1949. Large number of cars were exported, in particular to North America, Australia and New Zealand, where many reside today.
Just over 28000 Riley cars were produced in the RM series between 1945 and 1957. These consisted of approximately:
500 2½-litre cars were built as Roadsters (RMC) between mid-1948 and December 1950.
500 2½-litre cars were built as Dropheads (RMD) between mid-1949 and May 1951.
A number of vehicles were also supplied as chassis only and a range of coachbuilders, such as Bonallack and Epps, produced cars with special bodies including a number of estate cars or “woodies”.